Sparking Painted Receptacle

Lauterborn Electric was recently called out for an electrical power issue at a rental property in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia.

The tenant attempted to plug in a plastic safety cap and the receptacle sparked tripping the breaker.

When we arrived the very concerned tenant had completely shut power off out of an overabundance of caution.

The image shows the painted over device which heated up to the point of the wires melting. This created an arc and a power failure. The outlet was changed to a safe new tamper resistant outlet. This type of outlet does not require plastic safety caps for child safety.

Lauterborn Electric strongly recommends not painting your receptacles or switches to avoid issues such as this.

For all of your electrical needs contact your licensed Philadelphia electricians Lauterborn Electric. Click Images to Enlarge.