The problem was a melting main breaker in the panel. A loose connection at the main breaker over a long period of time was most likely the cause. The panel needed to be changed. Also the service cable was frayed so a full service needed to be completed.
This situation was not just a nuisance, it was also a fire hazard. Luckily the homeowner called an electrician in time. The pictures show the before and after of some of the work done.
For all of your electrical needs contact your licensed Philadelphia electricians Lauterborn Electric.