A customer called and stated that his refrigerator light was blinking on and off and he smelled something burning. This is what we uncovered (see picture). This newer wire was more than likely damaged during a less than professional installation. The moisture coming through the exterior wall led to the corrosion and eroded this wire to the point of failure. This could have ended a lot worse than just some sour milk.
The wire in the picture is called Romex and is the proper wire in this situation. However, it was not carefully installed. Romex is the common name for non metallic cable, or NM cable. Romex is intended for indoor use and normally dry locations. It must be protected from physical damage. Careless installations can lead to major electrical problems. Let a professional handle you wiring.
For all of your electrical needs contact your local Philadelphia electrician, Lauterborn Electric at (215) 688-8472 or visit our web site, https://lauterbornelectric.com/contact/