Skip to content

Wiring blamed for tragic local fire

by Lauterborn Electric on May 29th, 2012

This article below posted on Philly.com is a sad reminder of the importance having your home properly wired. Having extension cords to power up portable heaters or air conditioners can create an unsafe environment for you and your family. Lauterborn Electric

Posted: Thu, Apr. 19, 2012 on Philly.com

ELECTRICAL wiring caused the blaze that killed a family of four early Monday in West Philadelphia, fire officials announced Wednesday. The blaze, which broke out just before 5 a.m. in a rowhouse on Chancellor Street near 52nd, killed Rishya Jenkins, 23; her stepson, Cyncere McClendon, 4; her son, Jayden McClendon, 2; and her soon-to-be father-in-law, Seneca McClendon, 75. It was the city’s third fatal fire in a week. Jenkins was planning to get married in June; her fiancé discovered the fire and tried to save his family. The elder McClendon, a retired postal worker, had lived on the block since the early 1980s.  “Nonpermanent electrical wiring” was the official cause, which means wiring such as extension cords, Executive Chief Richard Davison said.  Davison refused to specify exactly what kind of nonpermanent wiring caused the fire.  A fire on Sunday that killed a 4-year-old girl and her great-grandmother in North Philadelphia was caused by unattended cooking, fire officials ruled. That fire, in a rowhouse on Firth Street near 13th, left Nevaeh Bryant, 4, and Ardalia Bumpus, 79, dead.

– Dana DiFilippo

Extension cord information

  • -Extension cords are intended for temporary use and should not be  used as a permanent solution to wiring.
  • -Extension cords come in different wire gauges and sizes. Not using a properly rated extension cord can become a fire hazard and pose a risk to your personal safety.
  • -Extension cords rated for indoor use should not be used for outdoor applications.
  • – Running extension cords under your rugs or carpet can lead to cords overheating and potential fire.
  • -Extension cords warm or hot to the touch are signs of over loading of the cord and can lead to potential hazard.
  • -Extension cords are intended as a temporary wiring solution. If you find you are using them on a permanent basis, we recommend updating your home’s wiring.

For all of your electrical needs contact your licensed electrical contractor Lauterborn Electric

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: XHTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS