Skip to content

Corrosion and oxidation can lead to power outage

by Lauterborn Electric on October 20th, 2011

If the electrical equipment in your home is showing signs of corrosion or oxidation (rust), this condition can lead to electrical failure. Water, moisture and dampness are conditions that are not conducive to good electrical wiring and can lead to corrosion of your electrical connections.

The images above show oxidation affecting connections to these two junction boxes.

Corrosion of electrical equipment can lead to connections becoming oxidized (rusted) creating a potential loss of power or overheating of wiring leading to a potential fire hazard. Most of the wiring in your home is rated for use in indoor and dry locations. Water, dampness or moisture can make your wiring less than safe.

These two images above resulted in power being interrupted. The junction box on the left caused a complete power outage of three apartments.

We as electricians often see water entering your outdoor metering or indoor panel through the service cable that was not properly installed. Water is a good conductor and if it comes in contact with your equipment can lead to a potential shock hazard.

The images above are just a few of the problems that we as electricians run into. These conditions are a result of years of neglect.   Keep your wiring and family safe, if you need an expert to evaluate your wiring contact your licensed electrical contractor Lauterborn Electric.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: XHTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS